PAGES

Sunday, February 27, 2011

GT - Fave NBA Shooters


This is my first post for my self named narcissistic =) blog post "gelo's take". Basically anything about everything that I like and have opinions about will be the focus of this post. Okay, so lets give it a whirl...

In basketball, I mostly admire the art of form, arc of shot and the amazing sound of a ball swishing the net... When I play with my friends, I always imitate my favorite NBA shooter and whisper there names before I release like I am commenting my own play by play... Also, lets mention since Ray Allen (One of I guess the last remaining good shooting form guards) just surpassed Reggie Miller's record for most 3 pointer makes, its just timely to talk about...

So let me break down my favorite shooters on why I like them and why I get to whisper there names each shot I throw...



Allan Houston... I don't know why this guy just faded away from the NBA after some amazing Championship runs... But I guess that's how usually the career of a NBA shooting guard goes (i.e. Trajan Langdon)...

I just love how Houston palms the ball from the chest and then pushes up for the jumper... His prep gives an amazing spin on the ball and a stable straight form up to the release. The problem I had with his jumper is that if a defender is that close to you, usually the form deviates and basically you rely from the elbow release and a little fade. From my opinion, his jumper is best used either in a spot up situation or maybe coming off a pick...


Reggie Miller... To be honest, not one of my most liked forms or release but his discipline and confidence I think compensates for that fact. I believe his shot does not rely on the planting of his feet but rather on the preparation/catch of the ball and the awkward cross hand follow through... I think that awkward follow through doesn't really help on the shot except for Reggie as it could cause sometimes some angular throws. But for desperation moments, his almost like a turn around three point shot is one of my favorite shots. Like I said, it does not rely on how you prep your feet, basically if you catch the ball, your good.


I don't know if you remember Dale Ellis but he's one of my top shooters... I don't know also If I remember his jumper correctly but from memory, his shot is a little awkward on the body form. I think his body shifts a little to the left for the release which makes me remember him all the time... I think his jumper is more of a "made for him type of shots" as sometimes you just don't see those kind of forms getting a high makes on 3 point percentages, but it works...


I don't know if Shawn Marion's shot was wackier than Rex Chapman but for me, I just don't know how he makes it... I can never imitate his shot ofcourse because you need a certain amount of quickness to do so. But we all remember the 1997 Playoffs wherein he made that crazy catch and shoot 3 pointer which just blew my mind... They show that shot in NBA Action all the time in slow mo and you will say its a lucky shot but just to tell you, that is his usual shooting form... I don't even remember Rex shooting a spot up because I always get to see his shot from a turn around or coming of a pick.


Steve Kerr... To be honest, I like him because of this picture alone or when this moment happened... His jumper I think is effective from a transition situation as I think he gets his momentum from the run he gets before he catches the ball... And then his smooth motion from chest to follow through form is flawless... I think this shot is best used from a running shot form rather than a spot up...


Glen Rice, like Allan Houston almost has the same form but different palming of the ball and maybe also the height of  release... But I think Mr. Rice's form is one the textbook jumpers of all time. The bend of the knee, the prep of the ball to the chest and then the push up with the help of the elbow and lastly the flicker of the hand for release above the head... Also like Houston's shot, its not likely effective on a turn around fade away as this kind of shots are really straight forward...

Glen the "Big Dog" Robinson... The helping hand or the guiding hand of Mr. Robinson shot is the reason I like his jumper as it is not on the side as what a textbook shooter does but it is almost mirroring the shooting hand... And the slingshot type which does not need a lot of help from the knees is more of what I call a sweet shot. Mannnn, when Cassell, Ray Allen and the Big Dog combined for three's, you know it is going to be a blow out...


One of  the underrated jump shooters of the NBA is Tim Thomas. I don't get to see him play everyday but when I do, he is usually dead on... But when I don't and I just check the box scores, he's kind of inconsistent... But his jumper is still one of my favorites as its like a bulky shooters jumper... Doesn't get that much height on the jump but the form of the shoulder shows you that he is a shooter... I don't know why he never got to perfect this shot to even get him a high three point percentage but when Tim gets hot, I remember him hitting a record of three pointers for a team.

I ain't finished yet so there will be a part two but you can hit the comments for us to discuss your fave NBA shooter...

SUPPORT MY BLOG BY CHECKING AMAZON.COM


No comments:

Post a Comment